Microsoft has made the full version of Virtual PC 2007 available for download from their web site.
The program is supported on the following servers:
- Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86);
- Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition;
- Windows Vista Business;
- Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition;
- Windows Vista Enterprise;
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition;
- Windows Vista Ultimate;
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition;
- Windows XP Professional Edition ;
- Windows XP Professional x64 Edition ;
- Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
That leaves out the Home and Media Center editions of Windows Vista and Windows XP, as well as the Web and Enterprise versions of Windows Server 2003.
- Support for Windows Vista as a host
- Support for Windows Vista as a guest
- Support for Windows Vista 64-bit as a host
- Improved performance compared to Virtual PC 2004
- Hardware-assisted Virtualization (as seen in the picture to the right)
I have been running Virtual PC 2007 since it was released as a released canidate, and I can say I am very happy with the progress Microsoft has made with the product. One thing to not before trying the Hardware-assisted Virtualization is to make sure your computer supports it by checking your processor and getting the latest BIOS update.