Just over 5 months ago I lost a ton of data in the process of a couple stupid moments, this included code I had not backed up, some documents, iTunes music, pictures, and database data that I had been collecting for many years. I was lucky I could get most of this back through some old backups, but I pretty much lost a good months worth of data. From that day on I vowed to never have this happen again, so I started on a hunt to find the best solution for backing up my wifes desktop and my laptop. I first went the route of backing up my laptop to an internal network storage drive, but I with in a few days realized that my data wasn’t really protected it was just duplicated and could easily be lost in, god forbid, a house fire. So I knew I needed to pay somebody to keep my data in a place other than my house, so I set out to find the best online backup solution for the smallest budget. It had to be:
- Reliable in that I do not want the service here today, gone tomorrow.
- Fast in that I do not want it to take weeks to upload 15 GB.
- Data is easily assessable from the web and PC.
- Secure in that I do not want my data to be openly readable.
- Configurable in that I want control over what is backed up.
- Unlimited in that I didn’t want my bill to rise over time.
- A nice to have would be Versioning of my files, where versions over time of the same file are kept in tact.